Friday, February 4, 2011

Feb. 5: National Weatherperson's Day

February 5th is the birthday of John Jeffries, one of the founders of weather data collection and prediction in America. As such, today is known as National Weatherperson's Day. Today we thank all the men and women who predict our weather. Those whose knowledge we rely on to predict hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, and when to wear shorts.

Today, we would also like to thank God for our weather. Through his infinite knowledge of charges gave us awe inspiring lightning. Through his knowledge of water gave us the beauty of snow. Through his knowledge of plasma and heat transfer gave us the warmth of the sun.

About a year ago, I had the chance to see Christopher West give a talk. One of the things that had the most effect on me was how he used regular / nonreligious music to make his points. Recently I found out that MC Hammer, later in his career, began preaching the word of Christ and joining youth and prison ministries. This made me think of how, when you see lightning in all its glory or the geology formed by glaciers and floods, God, in a small way, is up in heaven doing an MC Hammer dance and saying to you, "You can't touch this."


I was sure by now
God You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm
-Praise You in This Storm, Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment