Thursday, February 3, 2011

Feb. 4: Feast of Faces

Today we celebrate the feast of St. Veronica. A pious woman of Jerusalem, she was filled with pity for the man carrying his cross to Golgotha. Oh, how her acts of kindness were blessed that day! And our kindnesses are no less blessed, whether here or in heaven!

In 1844, A Carmelite nun, Sr. Marie of St Peter, had visions of St. Veronica wiping the face of Jesus. She started the devotion to the Holy Face of Jesus. Her devotion influenced St. Terese of Lisieux who wrote, "Jesus, Your ineffable image is the star which guides my steps. Ah, You know, Your sweet Face is for me Heaven on earth. My love discovers the charms of Your Face adorned with tears. I smile through my own tears when I contemplate Your sorrows."

Today we also remember the feast of another type of face. This one of a book. With a face. On Feb. 4th, 2004, Mark Zuckerberg started Facebook. Coincidence? I think not... (But really, where does the book in facebook come in?)

If only my one heart
Was all you'd gain from all it cost
Well I know you would have still been a man
With a reason
To willingly offer your life
I am not just a man, vastly lost in this world
Lost in a Sea of Faces
Your body's the bread, Your blood is the wine
Because you traded Your life for mine
-Sea of Faces, Kutless

No comments:

Post a Comment